Very Moist Banana Bread
This recipe will turn out a very moist and tasty banana bread. The sour cream is the "secret". I made this one time without it because I didn't have any on hand. Oh, trust me, I won't do that again. That little bit of sour cream makes a big difference!I put my chopped walnuts in a small skillet and just set them in the oven while it's preheating. I tried toasting them on the stove top but… I burned them. So, I learned my lesson there. You can use walnuts or pecans, whatever you like or have on hand.This recipe will make one big loaf but in our house we prefer 2 smaller loaves. Just seems to last longer that way.You can also make muffins. You can get 12 good-sized muffins… just bake @ 325°F for 20-25 minutes. Test with a toothpick – when it comes out clean, they're done!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 3 cups mashed, overripe bananas (about 3 large)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Set oven rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toast nuts while preheating the oven.
- Lightly grease a 9" x 5" inch loaf pan or 2 smaller loaf pans.
- In a bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk well then stir in nuts; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs. Add sour cream, vanilla, and oil; whisk to combine. Add the brown sugar; stir to combine. Add the mashed bananas; stir to combine.
- Pour the flour mixture into the banana mixture. Mix gently until the dry ingredients are incorporated with the wet and the flour is no longer visible. Do this gently and DO NOT over mix. Batter will be lumpy.
- Pour batter into prepared pan(s). Bake 1 large loaf for 60 to 65 minutes and check for doneness @ 45 minutes. Bake 2 small loaves for 40-45 minutes. Test with a toothpick.
- Let bread cool in the pan(s) for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to completely cool.